Expect Traffic and Delays during Friday and Weekend Travel Times; Plan ahead and find Alternate routes
ATLANTA- Georgia Department of Transportation continues to improve highway infrastructure throughout Metropolitan Atlanta and statewide. As a result, work on construction and maintenance projects will continue this weekend. In addition, with the convergence events happening in the downtown area beginning Friday and continuing throughout the weekend; motorists are advised to plan ahead, expect heavy delays and seek alternate routes.
Major projects of interest that will likely impact traffic includes the resurfacing projects on I-85 and the Transform 285/400 improvement project; which is dedicated to help reduce traffic congestion and enhance safety near the I-285/SR 400 interchange in metro Atlanta.
Click the following links to view the overall weekend lane closures and metro Atlanta weekend events:
- Statewide lane Closures: http://www.dot.ga.gov/
- Special Events: http://www.dot.ga.gov/
- Metro lane closures: http://www.dot.ga.
gov/DriveSmart/ WeekendClosures/ MetroLaneClosures.pdf
To survive summer construction, Georgia DOT offers the following tips:
- Plan ahead. Before you get behind the wheel, call 511 or visit 511ga.org for real-time information on active construction, incidents, road conditions and more.
- Drive Alert and Arrive Alive. Keep the smartphone out of reach until you complete your drive. And wear your seatbelt!
- Seek traffic-reducing commute options like carpool or public transit. Visit 511ga.orgor http://
- Use extra caution in work zones: pay attention, slow down, and watch for workers. Work zone safety is in your hands.